Tham & Videgård Arkitekter is a progressive and contemporary practice that focuses on architecture and design – from large scale urban planning through to buildings, interiors and objects.
The practice objective is to create distinct and relevant architecture with the starting point resting within the unique context and specific conditions of the individual project. Taking an active approach, the office is involved throughout the whole process, from developing the early sketch to the on-site supervision. Commissions include public, commercial and private clients in Sweden and abroad.
The practice approach to architecture is inclusive; with practical, theoretical, social and environmental issues analysed and integrated within the process. When required and relevant the office involves a network of multidisciplinary external consultants. This use of complementing resources ensures that all projects address the right challenges, in order to make the most of the opportunities that each represent.
Within the office architects combine straight forward solutions with extensive research. The method of work encourages innovative thinking to drive the development of the project, which in turn facilitates the subsequent realization within the logics of efficient contemporary production.
From working with and completing several public, educational, exhibition and commercial buildings, the T&V team is experienced in managing projects that comply with the highest international standards regarding climate, security and long term sustainability. As a result the practice is well prepared to meet and organize the many different demands and factors that follow with buildings of complex programme and specialized functions.
T&V are based in Stockholm, Sweden, and directed by co-founders and chief architects Bolle Tham and Martin Videgård.
The T&V practice has been awarded prizes and nominations in several open international competitions and has also attracted attention for its experimental and innovative projects.
As an integrated part of the architectural practice, Bolle Tham and Martin Videgård also teach and lecture at schools of architecture in Sweden and abroad.
Awards and nominations
- Summerhouse Lagnö, Highly Commended, Architectural Review House Awards 2013, London, UK
-Atrium House, 1st prize for CO2-optimized New Buildings at the ECOLA Award 2012.
-Tree Hotel in Harads nominated for Best Wooden Building in Sweden 2008-2012.
-Tree Hotel finalist in the Archdaily’s 2011 Building of the Year Award.
- Double Helix Tower, invited competition for new landmark, info center and observation tower, 1:st prize.
- Tree Hotel awarded with special commendation as Best Holiday Building at the World Architecture Festival 2011, Barcelona.
- Tellus Nursery School shortlisted for Best Learning Building at the World Architecture Festival 2011, Barcelona.
- Tellus Nursery School wins the Stockholm Urban Environment Award 2011.
- Moderna Museet Malmö shortlisted for Best Cultural Building at the World Architecture Festival 2010, Barcelona.
- Bergman Center at Fårö island, Sweden. Invited competition, 1:st prize.
- Västra Kajen housing, Jönköping, Sweden. Invited competition, 1:st prize.
- Kalmar Museum of Art shortlisted for the Mies van der Rohe Award 2009, the European Union Prize for Contemporary Architecture.
- T&V practice selected for the Design Vanguard 2009 in Architectural Record (USA).
- Kalmar Museum of Art nominated for CODE09 – Nordic selected.
- Garden house awarded Best new building in the Södertälje region, Sweden.
- Kalmar Museum of Art awarded with the Kasper Salin Prize, best building of the year in Sweden.
- Kalmar Museum of Art shortlisted for Best cultural building at the World Architecture Festival, Barcelona.
- Kalmar Museum of Art finalist at the Forum AID Awards, Best new building in the Nordic Countries.
- Kalmar Museum of Art shortlisted for the Helgopriset 2008, Sweden.
- Double House in Nora nominated by the international jury for the Ecola Awards in Germany.
- The New School of Architecture, Royal institute of Technology-KTH, Stockholm, Sweden. Invited competition, 1:st prize.
- Archipelago House nominated for Best Wooden Building in Sweden 2004-8.
- T&V selected as one of ten practices to feature in Wallpapers 101 issues anniversary – 101 architects.
- T&V listed top 2 Best architects under 40 in the Nordic countries.
- Archipelago House Swedish nomination for the Forum Prize, Best New Building in the Nordic Countries.
- Kalmar Museum of Art, open international competition, 1:st prize.
- House K nominated for the Forum Prize, Best New Building in the Nordic Countries.
- New Permanent Exhibition on Chinese Art & Culture, Museum of Far Eastern Antiquities. Invited competition, 1:st prize.
- T&V awarded Residence Magazine Architects of the Year.
- House Karlsson nominated for Best Wooden Building in Sweden.
- House Karlsson nominated for the Stora Enso Falu Rödfärg-Prize.
- Church in Fruängen, open international competition, Honourable mention.
- New Office for Tham & Videgård and Sweden Graphics nominated Best Interior Design in Sweden.
- House Karlsson nominated for Best New Building in the Region of Västerås.
- Snowcrash Office and Showroom, Stockholm, 1:st prize CoreDesign.
- Snowcrash Office and Showroom shortlisted as Best Interior Design in Sweden.
- New City Library of Turkku, Finland, open international competition, shortlisted.
- Museum of Finnish Architecture: Lighthouses. Young Nordic Architecture. June 5th – September 22nd.
-Venice Biennale, LIGHTHOUSES at the Nordic Pavilion, Giardini. Aug 29 – Nov 25
-Louisiana Museum of Modern Art: New Nordic – Identity & Architecture. June 29 – Oct 21.
-Maga Museum in Gallarate: Abitare Minimo exhibition, Gallarate, Va, Italy. May 12 – Jul 7.
-Moscow Architecture Biennale; NORDIC ID – Contemporary Nordic Architecture. Moscow 23-27 May and St Petersburg June 2012.
- Louisiana Museum of Modern Art; LIVING – Frontiers of Architecture III and IV.
- Lisbon Architecture Triennale, T&V’s works part of the exhibition Between the North and the South. October 14 2010 – Januari 16 2011.
- Venice Architecture Biennale, Kalmar Museum of Art exhibited at the Nordic Pavilion, Giardini. August 29 – November 21 2010.
- Victoria & Albert Museum. 1:1 Architects build small spaces, London UK.
- BINA 2010, Belgrade International Architecture week. Housing Models: Experimentation and Everyday Life, 7th to 15th May.
- Mies van der Rohe Award 2009, Kalmar Museum of Art, touring exhibition starts in Barcelona, Spain.
- Crossing: Dialogues for Emergency Architecture, National Art Museum of China, Beijing.
- ART Basel, Ordos 100 house project, Basel, Switzerland.
- Greener than thou, exhibition on Swedish contemporary architecture in Paris, France.
- NOTCH-09, architectural piece at the culture festival in Beijing, China.
- Les Maison Rouge, Swedish Institute of Culture in Paris, France.
- Greener than thou, exhibition on Swedish contemporary architecture in London, UK.
- Best Wooden Building in Sweden. Archipelago house in touring exhibition 2008-2010.
- Housing in the Nordic Countries at Frederiks Bastion, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Archipelago House included in the permanent collection at the Museum of Architecture, Stockholm.
- 44 Young Architects Exhibition and Publication, Barcelona and Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
- 44 Young Architects Exhibition travels to Argentina.
- House AH041 presented by Swedish type house company Arkitekthus at the Salone de Mobile, Milan, Italy.
- Young Swedish Architecture. A new generation of architects at the Swedish Museum of Architecture, Stockholm.
- Best wooden building in Sweden. House Karlsson in touring exhibition, opened at Formens Hus, Malmö.
- Archipelago house, project exhibited at Svensk Byggtjänst, Stockholm.